Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Da Bomb!

I know that I have already told you all about one of Baltimore's sweet treats, Berger Cookies. While some might be happy to indulge in these awesome cookies as-is, every once in a while I like to step it up a notch and turn them into the Baltimore Bomb pie. The best way to describe it is a traditional chess pie with chopped up Berger cookies added. I know that sounds weird but trust me!


Baltimore Bomb

1 frozen extra deep Pillsbury pie crust
1 egg
4 egg yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
6 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
10 Berger cookies, chopped

Prepare pie crust according to the instructions on the bag. Allow crust to complete cool.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bring about an 1 1/2 cups of water to simmer in a medium sauce pan

Whisk together the egg, egg yolks, sugars, salt and cider vinegar in a heat proof bowl.  Whisk the heavy cream and then place bowl over the simmering water. Add the butter and continue to whisk until the mixture is warm to the touch.

Place chopped Berger cookies into the baked pie crust. Gently pour mixture over the Berger cookies and place in oven. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until pie has set.

Allow pie to cool for at least an hour before slicing. I know that it is really hard to wait that long but if you slice it while it is too hot the pie will just fall apart!

Enjoy!!!



M wanted me to let you know that the pie is best served with a cold glass of milk. And I would have to agree with him - yum!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Berger cookies so much- I will have to try this pie!! Somehow I have never heard of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I have never heard if this. I need to make it! They have delicious Berger cookie ice cream in Hamden. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the picture I thought maybe you were showing how you use portion control w Berger cookies! Looks crazy good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your M was heard screaming "NOOO!!!" in the lunchroom on the day you sent a slice of Da Bomb in with his school lunch. I'd say allegedly, but I was there to hear it ;) When I quickly asked if everything was okay, his response was priceless... "That was the last piece of the Baltimore Bomb." I think he's hooked, mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds fabulous. I havn't heard of Berger Cookies, but they look wonderful. Anything chocolate always looks good to me. Thanks so much for linking to the Holiday Baking Party. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS