Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Peppered Steaks

Hubby says many sweet and kind things to me. One of the sweetest things that he says to me from time to time is, "I feel like cooking dinner tonight." I mean really what wife would not love to hear that!?! Recently, Hubby said just that and then hopped online to find a different way to prepare steak other than grilling. His finding were so good that I just had to share them with you!


Pepper Crusted Steak
4 Sirloin steaksKosher salt3 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, coarseOlive oil, enough to coat the bottom of your cast-iron skillet
Pre-heat the oven to 500°F. 
Sprinkle the steaks with salt on both sides, and then press the ground peppercorns into the steaks on both sides. 
Set a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough olive oil to make a light film. When the oil is very hot, add the steaks, cooking until nicely browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip the meat over and put the skillet in the oven. 
For medium-rare steaks, roast for 3 minutes for 6-oz. steaks; 4 minutes for 8-oz. steaks*. Check for doneness with the tip of a knife or by pressing with your fingertips, keeping in mind that the steaks will cook a bit more as they sit**. Transfer the steaks to a warm plate and tent with foil.
*Hubby left the steaks in the oven for about 5 minutes. 
**Hubby used a meat thermometer to make sure that the steak had reached 145 degrees. (Hubby's note- I was pretty happy with the results overall since I have never made steak any way other than on the grill before. I will especially keep this in mind next winter when it is too cold outside to grill.)

The pepper added a bit of kick but nothing too bad, unless you are B who I think would complain about milk being spicy. Add some rice and a salad (and maybe a gin and tonic) to round out this great dinner. Definitely something to keep in mind next time we have company!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I can totally relate. My hubby loves to cook. Totally spoiled!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try the recipe. Yummo!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS