Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sports Night Dinner

Weeknight dinners have been trying this Spring to say the least! Three kiddos and four sports teams means that I have to make sure everyone gets the right field at the right time with the right equipment. (I might have been overheard saying "you should never leave home without your mouth-guard" more than once.) I am happy to report that I have yet to drop a child off at the wrong field but making a wonderful dinner every night has been hard.

Yes Hubby grills when his schedule allows. Of course I use my crock-pot a ton. But the dinner meals that I have become my new "go-to" are sandwiches. With a little bit of planning everything can be prepared ahead of time and then once we get home from the fields all I have to do is assemble the sandwiches.


Our new favorite sandwich is mini meatball subs. I made the meatballs ahead of time (basically just balled sausage since they have to be egg and gluten-free) and add them to tomato sauce. Then when we got home I reheated the meatballs and sauce. Place them on mini-Italian rolls for the boys and a gluten-free roll for B. Topped all of them with fresh mozzarella cheese and placed under the boiler until the cheese started to melt. A little fresh basil and we were all set. 

So easy and so much better than chicken nuggets if you ask me! Do you have any "dinner" sandwiches that I should try?

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea! My "cheater" fast sandwich is to bake fish filets and make a quick homemade tartar sauce and toss on bagged slaw.
    I'll try the meatball sandwich. I'm sure my big boys will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Grilled" sandwiches are always a hit at my house. Basically I just make salami and cheese or buffalo chicken and cheese sandwiches, butter up the bread and cook them on my griddle. So easy and serve with a side of fruit... No complaints!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Philly Cheesesteaks were always a go to for us, since you can get the meat already shaved ready for sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sandwich looks positively delicious! I don't have to have a child on a sports team to crave that! Hope your week is going well, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS