Monday, November 11, 2013

Health Update

First off, thank you so very much to all of you who prayed for L last week! I was truly touched by all of bloggers who reached out to me and let me know that they were holding L in their thoughts.

Last week the kiddos had off from school on Monday and Tuesday. We were going to have a nice and relaxing two days after being away for B's field hockey tournament but things did not go as planned. While eating breakfast Monday L started to break out in a ton of hives so I quickly got him to the pediatrician. From there we started him on some steroids in addition to Benadryl and L seemed to be better.

Unfortunately he did not stay well. The hives came back later Monday night with a vengeance. Hubby and I got all of the kids in the car and we headed to the hospital but L's allergic reaction was getting out of control so we had to stop at a satellite ER that was closer to our home. They quickly treated L for anaphylactic shock with steroids and epinephrine. The doctor and nurse were wonderful with how fast they reacted to L and his symptoms. 

After they had gotten L's reaction under control they decided that L should be admitted to the hospital to be observed. So L and I got a ride in an ambulance while Hubby followed in our car. Thankfully my in-laws were able to meet us at the satellite ER and take B and M home with them. 

By the time L was all checked into his room his skin looked better and his vital signs were perfect. I would not have been surprised if the night shift was questioning why L was having to spend the night rather than just be observed for a couple more hours. But thank God we spent the night because all of L's symptoms came back around 7am. I am still in awe of the fact that he looked perfect when I checked on him around 4am and then three hours later L was having another anaphylactic reaction. Once again the hospital staff reacted quickly to L's symptoms and stopped it from getting worse.

It was decided after L's need for a second does of epinephrine in less than 12 hours that we would be spending some time at the hospital so they could keep a close eye on our little guy. No one wants to spend time on the hospital but I was happy that they were watching him so closely. And when L was finally released from the hospital we were sent home with three different meds and a chart to keep track of the doses as well as the timing.

One week later L looks like nothing had ever happened. I, on the other hand, look like I have not slept in a year. L has been great throughout this whole ordeal. He was just so brave! And he has taken all of his meds with a single complaint. 

If anyone is having a hard time with all that happened, it is me. We still do not know what caused poor L's body to react to violently. If I don't know what hurt my sweet boy so much how can I keep him away from it!?! And I am also filled with guilt. This happened on my "watch". I am suppose to keep my children safe and I didn't. We will continue to work with L's allergist to see if we can figure out what caused the reaction. However we have been told that we might never really know the cause and I just need to come to terms with that fact. I am going to try my best not to wallow in the guilt and rather focus on the fact that L is healthy again. 


After a long week of taking care of L, my house is not at its best as the photo above clearly depicts. Can you tell I am behind with our laundry? But it will all get done in time. I am just so happy that L is back home with us. We are so blessed that L received the care he needed to get better! 

20 comments:

  1. SO SO happy to hear all is well in your house again. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lifting you all up in prayer and don't for a second feel guilty. You are a great mommy!!!! I hope you have time to allow yourself a good rest this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers! And I promise to work on the mommy guilt!!!

      Delete
  3. Yay for doing better!! Been on antibiotics recently!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No antibiotics or "new" food. It is driving me crazy not knowing why this all happened!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad he is all better... what a scary ordeal! And p.s. my house looks just like that right now and I have not had a child in the hospital!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! maybe I will get the house back together and clean by Thanksgiving! ;)

      Delete
  5. This is the 3rd kid in the past week who has broken out in hives! Glad he is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes. Do you know why they broke-out in hives?

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear he is better! What a scary thing to go through. Don't feel guilty - you should be proud of yourself for reacting so fast and getting him the help he needed.
    Take care - Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley! Mom guilt is just really hard to shake!!!

      Delete
  7. Don't waste one more moment of energy on guilt!! What a scary time. Hopefully soon you will find out what sparked the allergic outbreaks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This started happening to me when I was in high school. I cannot imagine HOW scary it is when you have a baby! They also told me I may never find out what it is and 10 years later I still don't. It also comes in waves. Sometimes 3 months in a row I will have attacks all the time. Sometimes 6 months with nothing. I carry and epi pen and benadryl always. I will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so thankful! glad the curtains were up too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending gigantic hugs your way. I am so happy to read you all are home safe and sound. I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster of this past week. Rest up and know prayers are with your family.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy to hear all is well in your home again. That is so scary! Have a better week:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are both wonderful, careful, and attentive parents. Love you all. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been MIA myself for various reasons and just read about sweet L's terrible allergic reaction. How very scary! My son had to leave school in an ambulance several years ago and it was the scariest moment of my life...when things are not right with your kids, nothing really feels right. It's also emotionally and physically exhausting to go through something like that! So glad that L is back to his happy and healthy self...you are a WONDERFUL and AMAZING mom and a great role model for your children....don't doubt yourself or feel guilty for one minute (easier said than done...I know first hand...lol)! Will pray that L remains healthy and has no more visits to the hospital!
    xo/Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry I did not see this sooner. Thank goodness L is doing better!! That must be so scary not to know the reason for all of this. Who cares about anything when any family member is not well. Your family is lucky to have you. I will pray that this was a one-time thing, never to happen again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS