Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Best Leftovers Ever!

Sure you think that I am going tell you how to turn your left-over turkey into some amazing casserole. But let's be real...we have all been there and done that. Further more if you ask me the best thing to do with your Thanksgiving left-overs is turn them into a sandwich that New Englanders call the "Gobbler". Simply place the left-over turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce between two slices of bread dressed in gravy. Old school yet yummy every time!

No what I really want to tell you about today is how to make the best grilled cheese ever! While I know not everyone makes homemade pimento it has become a staple appetizer for my family on Thanksgiving day. I have also learned that pimento makes for an incredible grilled cheese sandwich. The only catch is that if you plan to reuse it for grilled cheese you have to omit the mayo. I know that idea if offensive to some but if you are going to heat it in a sandwich mayo just doesn't work. 


Pimento Cheese

8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
8 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
jarred sliced pimentos, drained and roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper (we prefer a little more heat so I add 1/2 teaspoon)
2 to 3 dashes of hot sauce

Simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl with a hand held beater until a creamy spread is formed, then refrigerate over night so all of the flavors can blend together.

Allow pimento cheese to come to room temperature before serving with crackers and celery sticks.

*Or spread pimento cheese on buttered whole wheat bread. Then simple grill on low heat until the cheese has melted. Trust me, you are going to love it!!!!

7 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I love Pimento Cheese so much!!!! My mouth is actually watering at the moment! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beyond delicious!! Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grilled pimento cheese is one of my all time favorites. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite food EVER...but I make mine with mayo - the cream cheese may actually be healthier (if that is even possible with pimiento cheese!). I bought everything to make it over the Thanksgiving weekend but we ended up having too much other food! Thanks for sharing this - I may need to try it with the cream cheese. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious!!! On gluten free bread of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We LOVE grilled pimento cheese in our house. Try it on rye bread with fresh spinach added it there, too - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS