Wednesday, October 23, 2013

ORC - Week 4

I tried to plan ahead. Really I did! I have a big event tomorrow at the kiddos' school that I have been working on since last school year. This event has sort of taken over my life this week. So I knew that I really needed to plan a project that was easy but would make a big impact for my One Room Challenge. Sounds easy right?


After I hung up my new curtains from week 2 I just loved them. But I then started really disliking the art-work we had over the mantel. In this case I am using "artwork" as a loose term since all that is hanging over our fireplace is a map of Gettysburg Battlefield. It might not be a piece of art to some but to my history-loving Hubby it is a masterpiece. 

Anyway, it was not so much the subject matter that I had a problem with but the matte around the print did not work with my new curtains. So I needed to find a replacement.


This is where my "easy" project started. I had a mirror in our basement that I had gotten a year ago. The only thing that was "wrong" with the mirror was that the color was nothing like the picture online and it would have cost me more than I paid for the mirror to ship it back. It has been just waiting for a make-over!



I had some paint that I mixed to match the blue of my curtains. I painted the frame and used a rag to rub some of the paint off because I wanted to keep some of the ombre effect that the frame already had. This is where my easy project became big headache! My perfect blue paint started to look more teal than blue. Plus I was out of "free time" and I had to just stop. Ugh!!!



So the paint has dried and it is more teal than canton blue. And my "easy project" has become an ORC fail!

What do you think I should do? Live with it a bit or just keep trying?

Follow my progress:




You can also find me at Calling It Home.


17 comments:

  1. hey nice post meh, You are one of the best writers I've seen of recent. I love your style of blogging here. this post reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: The “Bullseye” Method .
    keep up the good work friend. I will be back to read more of your posts.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the color but you may simply want to deepen the blue. Good start, and definitely not a fail. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The curtains look great! As a matter of a fact I would love that fabric for my new house. Thanks for giving me the name and where to get it in your past post. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fail!! I think it looks fabulous...an unexpected pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer that your mirror didn't turn out like you hoped but I love how the finish turned out - if you darken it a bit, it will look beautiful - definitely not a fail!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Kris. Adding black to the paint will probably do it, but it is not bad the way it is. Looks good on the mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of love the variety of blue! I say keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say leave the part you have already done and add a more opaque line of the color you want to the outside edge. Not a total redo but it will tie in the way you really want. Love the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your other commenters that it actually looks good the way it is! Not a fail at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the pop of color too! Another shade of blue is not a bad thing. I don't think it is a fail at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could darken it or easier, if you had teal and other blue accessories similar or closer to curtain color you could place them around that area to tie in everything. Or use a contrasting color in shade of orange perhaps which will work with either blue. It could turn out to be a happy accident!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am the wrong person to ask because that teal color is my favorite:) I actually like the color with the navy of the curtains....

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's honestly not so bad, but I understand if it doesn't work with your other items in the room. If your not happy, just keep tying dear, your the one who has to look at it daily. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you should keep working on it. It's never fun, but you know you won't love it until it's right. Keep trying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think if it's not reading as the right blue to you, add another coat, see how it is a bit darker! How pretty and open your house is, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it, but I understand not being happy with it. Maybe try another coat of paint and see how you like it. But I don't think it clashes so horribly that you need to take it out or give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your curtains and I think the color of the mirror with them is not bad at all. I say live with it for a few days and see how you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS