Tuesday, August 20, 2013

BBQ Ribs

I know what you are thinking already...how could gal who has only lived in the South for 11 years possibly make bbq ribs worth blogging about!?!  First off, my father traveled a bunch to Memphis for business when I was young. He was the first one to let me know that there is a big difference between barbecue and a cook-out. If you ask me that was an important life lesson although I am not sure my mother would agree. Secondly my kiddos and Hubby were obsessed with Food Network's Barbecue Pit-Masters. I mean they were obsessed!!! 


So when double packs of ribs went on sale at Wegmans I didn't think twice when I put a pack in my cart. Then I started my research. I knew that I had to cook the ribs "low and slow" but I also knew that they needed to be seasoned well from the very beginning of the cooking process. I was so happy when I came across a recipe that Chris Lilly had used on a Food Network show.



Ingredients:
2 slabs of ribs
3/4 cup your favorite dry rub (recommended: Big Bob Gibson Seasoning and Dry Rub)*

Marinade:
1 cup apple juice
1 cup grape juice (I did not have any grape juice, so I used another cup of apple juice)

Finishing Glaze:
3/4 cup your favorite BBQ sauce (recommended: Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce)*
1/4 cup honey**

Directions:
Preheat a grill or the oven to 250 degrees F.

Pull membrane off of the back of the ribs. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of rub over each slab, front and back. Place ribs, meat side up, on the grill or in the oven for 2 hours.

Remove and place each slab on a doubled aluminum foil square, meat side down. Combine the marinade ingredients. Pour 1 cup of marinade over each slab while wrapping tightly in foil. Cook for 1 more hour at 250 degrees F. 

Remove slabs from foil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of rub. Cook an additional 1 hour, uncovered, until ribs are tender.

Mix together the BBQ sauce and honey. Remove ribs from the oven and paint with finishing glaze, and cook for another 15 minutes. Cut and serve

*I found a recipe for a dry rub and red sauce that I will share with you later this week.
**I totally forgot to add the honey, but no one seemed to mind.

I may or may not have felt quit smug after I served these ribs for dinner. Dare I say I get a little bit more Southern everyday!

You can also find me at No Minimalist Here

4 comments:

  1. These look utterly scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killing me! Hungry now for ribs! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!!!! My brother spent 7 hours smoking ribs for us all to enjoy at the lake last weekend. Good times!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS