Monday, August 26, 2013

Fun With Moonshine

Hubby has been waiting a long time for Catoctin Creek Distilling Company to open the doors on their new facility. CCDC is the first family-owned distillery in Loudoun County since before Prohibition. So this past weekend I lined up a sitter for the kiddos and told Hubby that I was more than happy to be his chauffeur for the evening. 


In CCDC's new facility you can see a working distillery in production, including a 400 liter custom-made Kothe still and condenser. CCDC also holds tours which highlight the process of making distilled spirits, including fermentation, distillation, aging and bottling. While Hubby was impressed with all the technical "stuff", I was impressed with how they renovated their historical building. CCDC was able to make this space look new while retaining the character of the old building.


Hubby here and now I get to take over since Eileen was kind enough to play DD....

When you visit CCDC you can either try three small straight shots of their Mosby's Spirit (unaged white whiskey, essentially moonshine), Roundstone Rye (their aged whiskey) and Watershed Gin or try the three in a small cocktail. I was mostly interested in trying the Mosby's Spirit because I had the Roundstone Rye and the Watershed Gin before so I went with the three small shots. I enjoyed the Mosby's Spirit and I definitely plan on trying a larger glass next time we are at a restaurant where I can get one. Those moonshiners were on to something!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS