Friday, June 7, 2013

Cookie Baking 101

You might have already guessed this but I love to bake for others.  I just love how a freshly baked treat can put such a big smile on someone's face.  So I am sure that you would not be surprised to hear that I baked for all of the kiddos' teachers for their end of year gift. 


 I went old-school and baked chocolate chip cookies and I have a couple of "tricks" that I thought I would share.  First off I think that all cookies bake better if they have a couple of hours in the fridge to chill.  (Warm or even room temperature cookie dough never turns out well for me.)  I find that it works best for me if I make the dough the night before I plan to bake and deliver the cookies.

My next "trick" is my tools.  I always use a traditional jelly-roll pan not a cookie sheet.  My jelly-rolls are commercial-grade which means that they will not warp in my hot oven.  I also always line my pans with parchment paper and I always use an old-school ice cream scoop to form my cookies.  All three of these tools help ensure that my cookies all bake evenly and consistently.  


The final step is packing up my sweet treats.  When I am baking for many people I like to give the cookies in packages of six. Since they are relatively even in shape and size I find stacking them is the prettiest presentation. Simply stack, place in a cellophane bag and tie it closed!

9 comments:

  1. This is really great. I thought 5 min in the freezer did the trick, not hours in the fridge. I have also been using Silpat to line my sheet. I need to try it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to bake, too. Since the 2 of us don't need to eat.all the goodies I like to freeze them or give them away! Have a great end of school and summer with the kiddies!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrower.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish! Love the packaging too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this too.... especially the pretty packaging. I always find myself collecting bits of ribbon and cute bags and labels to decorate sweet treats for friends and neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look great! And I completely agree with you, there's nothing like giving someone a little gift you baked for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For years I would burn my cookies until I bought my jelly roll pans. I had always used a dark pan. When I told my sister she said, yes she knew. I was so mad at her. I said you let me burn my cookies all this time. She said she thought I knew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these tips! I tend to be all non-uniform so I'll keep these in mind!

    I’d love to invite you to share your project at our Home{work} Wednesday link party hosted by four bloggers. We each pick our favorites and there is still time to enter. Here’s the link: http://www.martysmusings.net/2013/06/homework-wednesday-link-party-5.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look great. I love wrapping my goodies in cello bags w/ribbon. Lucky teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across this post...what recipe do you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS