Thursday, March 28, 2013

I Googled It

Do you ever Google a recipe based on what you have on hand?  I do all the time and it has lead me to some great recipes that did not included a trip to the grocery store.  Win-win in my book!

I had a ton of frozen blueberries and some buttermilk which lead me to this Google discovery.... (Hubby's note- While I still don't think anything can touch the previously blogged about banana bread these muffins are  incredible.) 


Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of one orange or lemon* (I did not have any oranges or lemons on hand so I omitted this step)
1 extra large egg*, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups  buttermilk*
1/2 cup (120 ml) safflower or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

1 1/2 to 2 cups blueberries* (I used 2 cups of frozen blueberries)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 18 muffin/cupcake tins.  

In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.  Start with the flour and end with salt.

In another smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla and oil.

Just before combining the dry and wet ingredients together, add the frozen blueberries to the dry mixture and quickly mix until all the berries are coated in the mixture.

With a spatula gentle combine the wet and dry ingredients.  Be careful to not over mix since that could make the muffins tough.

Fill each muffin tin with a ice cream scoop.  Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.  (If you are using fresh berries it should take less time.)  

*These are changes that I made from the original recipe.*

I hope that you enjoy these muffins as much as I did!  And I would love to know if you have had any luck with Googling a recipe based solely on what you had at home.....

  



4 comments:

  1. Looks tasty and I'm super impressed that you had buttermilk on hand?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a new blog header. I google this way all the time. These look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Amy-you have buttermilk on hand!?! I am lucky we have milk on hand (kidding) (not really). The grocery store is my least fav "mommy job!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made blueberry muffins today too! Only they were (are?) paleo, so probably not as yummy as yours ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS